Hamlet of Willingdon
The Hamlet of Willingdon was largely settled by Ukrainian and Romanian farmers from the crownland of Bukovina in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Today, Willingdon enjoys the fabric of the very diverse population of all ages and ethnic groups. The village is located on Highway 45, 117 km northeast of Edmonton.
ATTRACTIONS & EVENTS
Visit the World's Largest Lapel Pin, located at the Tourist Park, right along Highway 45. The Willingdon Arena is home away from home for horse enthusiasts. Expect to see dressage, gymkhana, roping, cattle penning and more.
Five kilometres east of Willingdon is the Historic Boian District, featuring St. Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church and a museum dedicated to local Romanian pioneers. The Romanian Pioneer Museum of Boian is located on RR 143, four miles north of Highway 45. It is an open-air museum, which preserves artifacts, documents, and family histories of the first Romanian immigrants that came from Bukovina to Alberta between the years 1895 and 1915. New this year: the museum is adding a railway track with handcar exhibit. They will also be opening the newly renovated Pioneer Agricultural Hall in May with new exhibits, photos and implements. Join them for their annual Picnic & Entertainment in July. Six RV camping stalls with power are available on-site.
Campers will be pleased with the facilities at the Tourist Park located along Highway 45, complete with P/W/S sites, flush toilets, and showers. If you love to fish, visit the Willingdon Fish & Game stocked fish pond located at 53 Avenue and 49 Street.
Name: Hamlet of Willingdon
Office Address: 4910 - 52 Ave., Willingdon, Alberta
Back to Highway 15 & 45 Communities