Don't miss out on these great 2016 Culinary Events!
- Savour Strathcona County - July 10
- Bison Festival - Elk Island National Park - August 13
- Babas & Borshch Ukrainian Festival - Andrew, Lamont County, August 20-21
- Harvest of the Past & Food Festival - Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village - September 11
- Andrew Garlic Festival - October 8
Go shopping for local flavours at these featured Farmers Markets!There isn’t really any better time to try new foods and visit marketplaces than summertime. As the heat blazes on, so do the number of markets and outdoor shops that open up in small town neighbourhoods and parks. We’ve put together a list of great markets for you to visit just East of Edmonton. Most of these are outdoor and operate seasonally, with a few running all year long. You won’t run out of new farmers’ markets to visit East of Edmonton.
There’s the extended market that goes on Thursday evenings in Fort Saskatchewan, featuring over 60 vendors with fresh produce, baking, gifts and food trucks waiting in the wings. You can’t go wrong with Redwater’s indoor iteration, found in Pembina Place on Tuesday nights. There’s also Lamont County’s Andrew Farmers' Market, held in the Andrew Arena on Saturday afternoons.
Sherwood Park Farmers’ Market - Strathcona County
The Sherwood Park Farmers’ Market located in Strathcona County is a definite draw for foodies, families and cultural explorers alike. Open weekly on Wednesdays from 4pm to 8pm, rain or shine, the farmer’s market located in the Strathcona County Community Centre offers fantastic goods and services with a noticeably local angle. Local vendors set up shop and dole out wares in everything ranging from jewellery and clothing to baked goods, sweets, crafts and more.
There’s no separation between the shoppers and the vendors. You'll be able to talk to the people who grew the vegetables, stitched together garments, baked the bread or bottled jams - in some cases, this was all the same person. There's no better way to enjoy fantastic food in a warm environment.
Shop in the Park - Vegreville
During the summer, kick off your weekend in beautiful outdoor Vegreville. Every Friday, Elks/Kinsmen Park transforms itself into a waiting cornucopia of goodness, with dozens of artists, crafters, local businesses, food vendors, arts & crafts tables and buskers setting up within close confines. There’ll be plenty of entertainment for kids and families alike.
Erdmann’s Gardens - Thorhild County
This one deserves special note as Erdmann’s Garden is actually a family operated farm, specializing in a variety of vegetables and garden plants. Expect to see blueberries, herbs, bedding plants, decorative flowers and more, all created in sustainable and ethical conditions. If you’re not able to make a visit out to the farm, you’ll be able to find Erdmann’s at various farmers markets in Edmonton and beyond.
- Lamont County - Andrew Farmers' Market - April 9-Oct 8. Sat. 1-3 pm Andrew Arena 5013 - 521 Ave. Special Markets June 4, July 2, August 20, October 8, November 27
- Fort Saskatchewan Farmers' Market - June 16-Sept 29. Thurs. 4:30-7:30 pm 10030 - 99 Ave.
- Vegreville Shop in the Park Outdoor Markets - May 20-Sept 30, Fri 3-7 pm Elks Kinsmen Park Hwy 16A
- Strathcona County - Sherwood Park Community Centre - Jan 6-Dec. 21 Wed 4-8 pm #401 Festrival Lane AND Sherwood Park Baseline Rd Market May 18-Oct 5 Wed 4-8pm #390 Home Depot parking lot.
- Redwater Market June 7-Sept 6 Tues 4-7 pm Pembina Place 4944 - 53 St.
- Long Lake Provincial Park (Thorhild County) Sat. 11-2 pm May 21 - June 18 biweekly. Jul 2 - Sept 3 weekly, Day Use Area open shelter.
Back to GO SUMMER!
See all Go East of Edmonton Flavours